LAS VEGAS, Nevada—MMA fighter and short-lived porn performer War Machine has been released by promoter Bellator following reports late Friday by TMZ and local media that Las Vegas police were looking for the former Jonathan Koppenhaver in connection with “a domestic dispute that ended in severe injuries” Friday morning.
TMZ added, “According to police, War Machine was involved in a 3-person altercation early Friday morning at their home in Vegas. Two of the combatants sustained severe, but non-life threatening injuries ... and were taken to a hospital. One of the victims is described as the fighter's ‘significant other.’
“It's well known,” noted the site, “that War Machine has been dating porn star Christy Mack since last year—however police have not released the names of the victims.”
AVN has so far been unsuccessful in contacting Mack, but TMZ has recently updated their coverage to indicate that the performer was injured so severely that she is currently nearly unable to speak; the report also relays a message from a Mack spokesperson that “Christy's family and friends are willing to pony up a $5000 reward to anyone who can help police locate the fugitive MMA fighter.”
Also, the last post to Mack’s Twitter account, from yesterday at a shade after 2 p.m., is a photo with the message, “Hey guys I won’t be attending the Art & Ink Show at the South Point Casino this weekend. I had a personal emergency come up BUT still please go support all of the artists and great people at the show!”
War Machine's last tweet, also from August 8, at 6:14am, reads, "I can't believe this...I must be cursed."
This latest incident appears to seriously escalate last year’s Twitter dust up in which War Machine tweeted about having raped Mack, igniting a Twitterstorm that ended only after Mack came to his defense. Bellator also backed him up at the time, but this report seems to have forced their hand.
Shortly after news of the incident broke, Bellator president Scott Coker released a statement that said, "We have a zero tolerance policy at Bellator when it relates to any form of domestic violence. After learning of this latest incident involving Jon Koppenhaver, War Machine, Bellator is releasing him from his promotional contract."
ESPN added of the troubled fighter, “War Machine (14-5) has not fought professionally since he suffered a first-round submission loss to Ron Keslar at a Bellator event in October. A former UFC fighter, he competed on the sixth season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ reality series in 2007. He was arrested on felony assault charges in 2010 and served jail time in 2011 and '12. He signed with Bellator in 2013 and went 1-2 in three fights last year.”
As of Saturday afternoon, War Machine was reportedly still on the run.
A tweet was sent from Mack's at 11:25pm that read simply, "I will be releasing my statement in the morning to put many rumors to rest."
Three tweets were sent from War Machine's account at approximately 8:45pm. The first said, "I'm not a bad guy, I went to surprise my gf, help her set up her show and to give her an engagement ring and ended up fighting for my life.
The second said, "The cops will never give me fair play, never believe me. Still deciding what to do but at the end of the day it's all just heart breaking."
The third said, "I only wish that man hadn't been there and that Christy & I would behappily engaged.I don't know y I'm so cursed.One day truth will come out."
As Bleacher Report details, there was a lot of other tweeting going on this weekend, including several from Mack's account intended to dispel other people's accounts of what happened Friday morning.
Image: Christy Mack and War Machine.