Burn, Baby, Burn!
Dancer catches fire performing routine
SHREVEPORT, La. -
Posted Apr 07th, 2008 04:23 PM by Mike Albo
There are some things that should always be kept separate: school bus drivers and alcohol, bleach and ammonia, water and electricity, and, now, strippers and fire.
This was illustrated early Friday morning at Larry Flynt's Hustler Club in Shreveport. In an event reminiscent of Dan "Grizzly Adams" Haggerty's 1977 near self-immolation while attempting to guzzle a flaming drink at Trader Vic's, patrons of the Hustler Club were astonished around 4 a.m. when an unnamed dancer caught fire.
The woman, who reportedly regularly used fire in her routine, burned her face during some sort of mishap and was rushed away by ambulance.
Witnesses told KSLA News 12 that the incident happened quickly and that in just a matter of seconds the dancer's head was engulfed in flames. Fortunately, quick-thinking guest services ran up on stage and extinguished the flames.
Activity in the club came to a halt as paramedics treated the woman and then took her to the hospital. She is currently recovering from first-degree burns to the face.
Hustler Club management has refused to comment on the matter. However, the investigative team from KSLA were told that employees of the club were concerned for the woman and described her as a "great girl."
And for those who never heard the Dan Haggerty story, during the actor's 34th birthday party in November of 1977, Haggerty was badly burned when a flaming drink called a Flaming Eddy accidentally set his well-lacquered beard on fire. A waiter attempted to smother the flames with his own body, but Haggerty nonetheless required plastic surgery.